Today, the small village of Weddewarden is the most northern part of the city area of Bremerhaven. But the history of that place is much older than that of the city it is a part of today.
As early as 1091, Weddewarden was mentioned as a Frisian settlement in a document of the Bremen archbishop. So it can be shown to be the oldest place within the area of present Bremerhaven. Archaeological digs between 1979 and 1981 however produced material dating from the first century A.C.. An important historical building is the Ochsenturm (“ox tower”), dating from the 13th century in neighbouring Imsum and part of a former church.
Conflicts between the powerful archbishop of Bremen and the inhabitants of Weddewarden influenced the further history of that place. In the 16th century, a small castle, Morgenstern, was situated on the dyke at Weddewarden. Later, a famous inn was established there. The village itself kept its rural character until it was incorporated into the city of Wesermünde (today Bremerhaven) on April 1st 1927. At that time, the population of the village was 485.
Weddewarden has preserved much of its rural charm until today, although the mighty container terminal has now extended to within close range. But in spite of that development, local politicianss have pledged to preserve the village and its present atmosphere.