Hall Beach (Strandhalle)
The North German Lloyd of Bremen was the most significant local and regional shipping company and it not only operated numerous overseas services, but also a large tug fleet for its own requirements and local passenger services on the river Weser between Bremen and Bremerhaven. It also offered a service to the red rock of Heligoland and to the nearby East Frisian islands.
So in 1911 a plan was made to build a waiting hall with a restaurant adjacent to the berth of the short-distance passenger vessels. On August 13th 1912, the Bremerhaven City council granted approval for that project. The plans were drawn up by the Bremerhaven architect Julius Hagedorn (1874-1943), who was a convinced supporter of contemporary architecture such as the famous Deutscher Werkbund, founded in 1907. Hagedorn was able to influence changes in the original concepts. A lookout platform was discarded. Instead of plastering the outer walls, the brickwork was untouched and thus made visible, like many other Bremerhaven buildings. The installation of an aquarium in the basement was also finally realized. In 1913, the hall beach "Strandhalle" was opened.
In 1958 and 1966/67 it was thoroughly refurbished and the hall beach "Strandhalle" had its original look partly modified. After falling into disrepair, the restaurant was finally closed in 1987. Extensive subsequent refurbishing and restoring included not only a repaired façade, but also a heightened tower and a new interior decoration. Reopened on July 9th 1989, the Strandhalle now serves as a renowned Bremerhaven restaurant, reflecting traditional style and a notable part of local cultural history.