Old Geeste Swing Bridge
The old Geeste Swing Bridge (length 59.8 metres, beam 14.08 metres) was constructed by MAN works at Mainz-Gustavsburg from 1903 to 1904, replacing an older swing bridge of 1858, which had succeeded a ferry dating from 1824. When the new bridge was constructed, the costs of more than half a million deutschmarks were shared by the States of Bremen and Prussia, the cities of Bremerhaven and Geestemünde and two notable Geestemünde shipyards (Tecklenborg and Seebeck). In line with construction techniques of the time, the bridge was riveted. Electrically powered, it was listed in 1976 and refurbished from 1978 to 1979, 1987 to 1990 and from 1993 to 1994.
Caption: At the northern end of Old Geeste Swing Bridge, a relief with some interesting information is to be seen. The art nouveau inscription indicating the year of completion, the symbols from left to right: The express steamer KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE, the contemporary coat-of-arms of Bremerhaven, the coat-of-arms of Geestemünde and Bremen and on the right the Rotesand lighthouse in the Weser estuary (Photo: Christian Ostersehlte)
City Map Extract