Morgenstern Castle and Inn
When the mighty archbishop of Bremen defeated the peasants of the Wursten area in 1517, he had a castle constructed on the dyke, which was called Morgenstern castle. But only a year later, it was destroyed. Finally, however, the archbishop regained control in 1524 and put an end to the autonomous peasant republic of Wursten, dating from the Middle Ages.
Later, the foundations of the destroyed fortification were used as the base for an inn. There, a local society („Heimatbund der Männer vom Morgenstern“) was formed in 1882 under the auspices of the renowned local poet Hermann Allmers (1821-1902). This society still exists today and does much to preserve the regional cultural heritage. The name of the organization was also loaned to the local Bremerhaven museum, which opened in 1896 and is known nowadays as the Historical Museum of Bremerhaven. It is situated in a modern building in the centre of town near the Geeste River.
The inn itself was refurbished in 2002 by the port company "bremenports" (builder of the container terminal) and was submitted to a leaseholder. The building, which documents the beginnings of the local homeland movement with the Friesenstube, has been the domicile of the "men of the morning" since the beginning of 2012.