The Geeste Railway from Bremen to Geestemünde/Bremerhaven
In 1845, a contract was agreed between the states of Bremen and Hanover outlining in principle the extension of the railway line between Bremen and Hanover (in service 1847) into the Lower Weser region.
But the construction of the railway line was not finally decided on until 1859. Inaugurated on January 23rd 1862, the line terminated at Geestemünde. But it was extended by an additional line to Alter Hafen and Neuer Hafen port basins in Bremerhaven the same year. In 1868 more than a quarter of a million passengers arrived and departed from Geestemünde station. Freight transportation also saw a boom. Further lines were built into the port area of Bremerhaven and also to the shipyards between 1892 and 1902.
The railway line to Cuxhaven was constructed between 1894 and 1896 and went into operation on 1st of July that year. Lehe (now a part of Bremerhaven) was the first station on that line. Also in 1896, the Bederkesa line went into operation. From 1898 to 1899 the connection Geestemünde-Bremervörde-Stade was added. Since May 1966, the line between Bremen and Bremerhaven has been completely electrified.