A motor ship lying at the quay.

"Bremen" - Rescue cruiser

Former Rescue cruiser of the German Society for the Rescue of Shipwrecked Persons

The "Bremen" was an emergency sea cruiser of the German Society for the Rescue of Shipwrecked Persons (DGzRS). The vehicle was originally built in 1931 as a motor rescue boat by the Lürssen shipyard in Bremen-Vegesack under the shipyard number 12290 and put into service by the DGzRS under the name Consul Kleyenstüber. The DGzRS internal designation was KRD 424. 16.17 m long and 4.20 m wide at the time, the boat had a draught of 1.25 m. It was powered by two diesel engines with an output of 75 HP each, which operated on two propellers. The boat reached a top speed of about 9 knots.

The "Konsul Kleyenstüber" was stationed as a motor rescue boat in Pillau from 1931 to 1940, on the island of Borkum from 1940 to 1944 and - after a two-year break - on the island of Amrum from 1946 to 1949. On 9th October 1949, the boat was first taken out of service. At the beginning of the 1950s, the DGzRS decided to develop the then novel rescue cruisers with a daughter boat and initially wanted to test this design principle cost-effectively on the basis of an existing motor rescue boat. Therefore in 1953 - also at the Lürssen shipyard (construction no. 12000) - the "Konsul Kleyenstüber" was rebuilt. In addition to a redesign of the steel hull - which involved a slight change in length and draught - the conversion included a tower superstructure, which several motor rescue boats had already received since 1944, as well as the installation of a stern pan for the daughter boat to be carried. In addition, a higher motorization was necessary; two engines with 125 HP each were installed, with which the boat reached a speed of 10 kn. With the conversion, the ship was renamed to Bremen. On 28th November 2013, "Bremen" became the first cruiser ever to be listed by the Bremen State Office for the Preservation of Monuments. This underscored the great importance of the test cruiser as a technical monument to the history of navigation.

In 1965 the ship was sold, which was now used as a harbour tug on the Weser under the name "Oeltjen". A further change of ownership took place in 1972 and since then the ship has been used as a yacht under the name "Wal" on the Elbe.

In 2013 the ship was sold to the harbour museum Speicher XI in Bremen and transferred back to its port of origin Vegesack on 5th May. In summer 2014 the ship was painted at a Vegesacker shipyard again in the original colour of the 50s of the 20th century. It is planned to restore the ship as far as possible to its original condition as an active rescue cruiser (1953-1965). In September 2014, the ship was rebaptized to its original name "Bremen" during the Maritime Week on the Weser in Bremen's former European port (today including the marina for pleasure boats).

Type: Sea rescue cruiser
Home port: Vegesack
Length overall: 17.50 m
Width: 4,20 m
Draught: 1,40 m
Crew: 4

All sailboats from A-Z

Choose the first letter of the name of the sailing ship.

Results 1 - 16 of 21
1 of 2

All motor vessels from A-Z

Choose the first letter of the name of the motor ship.

11 Results

All steamers from A-Z

Choose the first letter of the name of the steamer.

2 Results