Sea rescue cruiser "Bremen" - Motor ship
The "Bremen" was a rescue cruiser of the German Society for the Rescue of Shipwrecked (DGzRS).
The vehicle was originally built in 1931 as a motor rescue boat by the Lürssen shipyard in Bremen-Vegesack under shipyard no. 12290 and put into service by the DGzRS under the name "Konsul Kleyenstüber". The DGzRS internal designation was KRD 424.
At the beginning of the 1950s, the DGzRS decided to develop the then innovative rescue cruiser with daughter boat and initially wanted to test this design principle cost-effectively on the basis of an existing motor rescue boat. Therefore in 1953 - also at the Lürssen shipyard (Baunr. 12000) - the "Konsul Kleyenstüber" was converted. In addition to a redesign of the steel hull - which involved a slight change in length and draught - the conversion measures also included a tower structure, which several motor rescue boats had already received since 1944, and the installation of a stern hull for the daughter boat to be carried on board. In addition a higher motorization was necessary; two 125 HP engines were installed, with which the boat reached a speed of 10 knots. With the conversion the name of the ship was changed to "Bremen".
On 28 November 2013 the Bremen was the first emergency cruiser ever to be placed under monument protection by the Bremen State Office for Monument Preservation. This underlined the high importance of the test cruiser in the history of shipping as a technical monument.
In 1965 the ship was sold and now used as a harbour tug on the Weser under the name "Oeltjen". A further change of ownership took place in 1972. Since then the ship has been used as a yacht on the Elbe under the name "Wal".
In 2013 the ship was sold to the Hafenmuseum Speicher XI in Bremen and on 5 May was transferred back to its port of origin, Vegesack. In the summer of 2014, the ship was painted again in the original colours of the 50s of the 20th century at a Vegesack shipyard. It is planned to restore the ship as far as possible to the original condition of the time as an active rescue cruiser (1953-1965). In September 2014 the ship was christened back to its original name "Bremen" during the Maritime Week on the Weser in the former Europahafen in Bremen (today a.o. Sportboothafen).
Species: Emergency rescue cruiser
Owner: Hafenmuseum Speicher XI, Bremen
Home port: Bremen-Vegesack
Length: 17,50 m
Width: 4,50 m
Draught: 1,70 m
All sailboats from A-Z
Choose the first letter of the name of the sailing ship.
All motor vessels from A-Z
Choose the first letter of the name of the motor ship.