"Belém" - Sailing ship
The "Belém" is a barque built in 1896 in Nantes.
The three-master initially served as a cargo and passenger ship. At the beginning of the 20th century the ship was purchased by Hugh Grosvenor, the 2nd Duke of Westminster, and it was extensively converted into a British luxury yacht. A few years later she became the property of an Irish brewery entrepreneur, who renamed her and drove her all over the world. After the owner's death, she lay at anchor for a few years, was briefly damaged to an accommodation ship for French officers and finally bombed. After World War II she was sold to Italy, converted into a training ship for merchant navy cadets and renamed again. More than 8 decades after its launch, it returned to Nantes. After repairs and new conversions she now sails again as "Belém" under the French flag as a sailing ship for paying guests.
The pretty three-master "Belém" was already a guest in Bremerhaven.
Owner: Fondation Belém
Home port: Marseilles
Length: 58 meters
Width: 8,80 m
Draught: 3.60 m
Sail area: 1,200 m²
All sailboats from A-Z
Choose the first letter of the name of the sailing ship.
All motor vessels from A-Z
Choose the first letter of the name of the motor ship.